Friday, June 26, 2009

Sports Bras

My trusty, cheap, off brand sports bras are all dying and it's time to replace them. I decided to throw financial caution to the wind and shop for some really good quality sports bras. My need for a good bra is also fueled by my experience at my last race-as I crossed the finish line and headed for the women's check in table, a volunteer tried to steer me to the men's table. OK-I know I have really short hair, and of course I don't wear makeup for a race (heck, I rarely wear makeup for anything any more!) and I know my customary race sports bra really squooshes in the girls, but to be mistaken for a man-how very embarrassing!

So I went shopping. I finally bought a couple of Champion bras for an absolutely ridiculous price, and that was a sale price! My only complaint is the same one I've always had with sports bras-no hooks in the back. Honestly, there's nothing worse than wrestling a stinky, sweat soaked sports bra off over one's head after a long and tiring run. I looked at a couple of bras that had hooks, and there was one with a zipper down the front, but they were all in much larger sizes than I needed. Honestly, Mr. Bra Manufacturer-even those of us who are minimally endowed would like a sports bras that's easy to take off.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

I splurged on a moving comfort bra last year that you have to pull over your head and has hooks. It was expensive, but worth every penny!

Sarah said...

Sports bras are such a pain in the butt. I found some that have the hooks in the back and seem to do a good job. I also bought one from RR...it was $45...it drove me crazy to spend that much, but I do really love that one. It has definitely held up the best through all of the washings.

WendyBird said...

I'm in the same boat, but my most favorite bras are the Danskin ones that I get at Wal-Mart for $9. They have enough detailing that you can wear them solo (that is what I have on in my current About.com profile pic) they are very supportive, and don't smoosh the girls :-) Granted, they don't have the back hooks, but I'm contemplating installing a hook myself.

Britni said...

I just can't get myself to spend money on an expensive sports bra, but I always regret it.

Sherri said...

you are so right. It is hard to get those tight sticky sweaty sports bra off, but I never thought about getting one with hooks or zipper. Mine are not expensive and some are better than others but I don't have much to support either.