Saturday, January 3, 2009

New year, new goals

Let's talk about the new year and goals. I don't believe in yearly resolutions; like most people I usually set a resolution and then promptly forget it. 2009, however,will have to be different. I have a goal of completing the Las Vegas Marathon and that's going to take some hefty preparation. So after some thought, I realized my preparation for the race will have to be three fold and while I can't start training just yet (the race isn't until December!) I can do some things to make a marathon a little easier. My three part plan is a really good diet, stretching and core training, and running. The running won't start until this summer, but I can start a better, healthier diet and stretching and core training today. I used to do those things and then just stopped.

Yesterday I tried my basic stretches and realized how much I've lost since I stopped stretching. And have I mentioned how much I hate doing planks? My goal is 4 days a week, 1 hour a day, until the race. Basically, I want to do anything I can to make 26.2 miles a little easier.

5 comments:

Casey said...

Sounds like a plan! Maybe you can sign up for a half sometime before that to give you something to train for and to jump start your running!

Good luck in 2009!

BeachRunner said...

Diet, stretching and core and great plans, but am I reading this correctly? You stopped running until the summer?

robison52 said...

Looking forward to seeing you at the 2009 Las Vegas Marathon!! I don't usually start training for THE marathon until September 1st, but build a large base of miles during the hot summer months on a treadmill. I should do more stretches, core training, and eating better too!!

greentigress said...

I am amazed by your goal, I wish you all the best for the training... I am happy with my smaller goals at the moment!

SuperDave said...

With a 1000 miles under your belt, you are definitely ready for a marathon. I would've thought you've done like 50 already
;)