Sunday, January 11, 2009

Swap Meet Oysters

Hubby and I spent the day wandering around our local swapmeet, looking for our stolen stuff-you never know where it might pop up. So we're walking around, making sarcastic comments about the sellers and buyers. And I notice a sign on the tailgate of a truck that says "Fresh Oysters". Holy Cow. Why would you think that the swapmeet, on a hot day in California, when it's oh, maybe 75 degrees or more, in an open parking lot, would be a good place to sell oysters? More importantly, who in their right mind would BUY oysters at a swapmeet? I can picture some guy coming home after spending the day at the swapmeet and dropping a used plastic grocery bag on the kitchen counter and telling wifey, "Honey, it's oysters Rockefeller for us tonight! And I bought them first thing this morning, before the oyster guy sold out. I've been lugging them all over the swapmeet for hours while I was looking for an Elvis on velvet painting for you. Crack these puppies open and start cookin!".



Now, I'm neither an oyster expert nor a fan. But don't you have to keep shellfish really cold? And isn't it supposed to be really fresh? It seems to me that oysters are a bit like sushi-you sort of want to know where it came from and how long it's been sitting around. I just don't think I would trust tailgate swapmeet oysters.



And we didn't find any of our stuff, either. But I almost bought a Crosby Stills and Nash album because I had the same album in my youth and it has Marrakesh Express on it. Remember the album with the 3 guys just sitting on a sofa? Anyway, I digress. I didn't buy the album because I don't have a record player and I can always just buy the song online and download it to my MP3 player. Swapmeets-ya gotta love them. Odd people, weird stuff for sale, and you can walk away with a little piece of your youth for just a few bucks. Or you can buy salmonella on the half shell for the whole family!

5 comments:

BeachRunner said...

ROFL. Funny post. Good move passing on the oysters.

On Long Island, we used to have "flea markets" years ago, but you dont see those any more. E-Bay killed them off, along with the local neighborhood "garage sales." We never had swapmeets 'round these parts, as far as I know.

Sarah said...

Too funny! I cannot imagine who in their right mind would buy oysters at a swap meet. :)

We have on here every Sunday in the spring and summer. Usually a lot of junk, but every once in a while I find something neat.

Re: your blog comments, if I was Barbie I would totally pick GI Joe over Ken...Ken seems a bit helpless to me. :)

SuperDave said...

funny stuff

greentigress said...

HeHeHe! you can get bad food poisoning from the best oysters! lol!

WendyBird said...

Ewe Ick! I used to work at the O.C. Swap Meet, definitely not a place to buy food, particularly shell fish!
Sorry you didn't find your stuff though :-(