Friday, September 12, 2008

Fast pace 6 miler

OK, so I slept in late, then spent (translation: wasted) the morning on the computer, and finally got out the door for a 6 mile run. I felt really strong and had a fast pace, decided to see if I could sustain it instead of bonking around mile 3 like I usually do and then just slogging away for the last 3 miles. So my splits were actually pretty funny: fast, slow, fast, slow, REALLY fast, really slow, depending on where I hit the hills. But the good thing is my average pace was almost a 10k race pace, and I did a pretty good fast run. It made me believe that a sub 1 hour 10k is possible. Don't laugh, I know that for some of you a sub 1 hour 10k sounds kind of ridiculous. For me it's fast. Hey, we all have our goals!

I have a new favorite gadget in the kitchen. It was a birthday present-a magic bullet, sort of a tiny little blender. I've been experimenting with fruit smoothies, basically I just throw in whatever I have in the fridge with a little ice, fruit juice, maybe some yogurt. I've found that watermelon makes a great smoothie, especially if you put it in the freezer for a bit, then add vanilla yogurt. And nectarines-excellent smoothie material! And hummus-I love hummus as a dip, I make my own and it's much better than the store bought stuff. This is a kitchen gadget that actually works as it's supposed to.

4 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Great run and that cool kitchen gadget sounds awesome. I could go for a strawberry smoothie right about now. Off to a wedding instead. Oh well.

Lily on the Road said...

hahahaha, for a moment I thought you were going to throw the hummus into the smoothie too!!

Smoothies are great, maybe I'll have one this morning...thanks for the idea!

Good job on your run...

Sherri said...

Well I think under 1 hours for a 10K is a great goal, as that is my goal too! I did a 10K in June and it was 1:01. I so wanted to do it in under 1 hour but it was hot. I'm thinking on a different course when it isn't so hot I can do it! You will too! I know it.
Love the idea of a smoothie. We are waiting on Hurricane Ike to get here in a few hours. I'm scrapping and just enjoying the day.

The Running Bob said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Wow, that does sound like a cool kitchen gadget! Maybe, you could do a photo demo? No wine, though.