Thursday, September 4, 2008

Running tragedy

I did 3 miles this morning, got up early enough that I could take advantage of the cool weather. I didn't really push the pace, but it felt about average for me, and I'm still seeing the really low avg. heart rate-it was a shocking 94. This is the 4th run with a low hr. Next week is a fall back week; after that I think I'm going to have to start doing speed work again. I'm definitely not getting much of a cardio workout.

A runner in Santa Barbara was struck and killed Saturday by a drunk driver. This poor woman was doing everything right. She was with a group of 30 runners, at 7:30 am, in the bike lane and running facing traffic. A drunk driver drifted into the bike lane and killed her. The group was with Team in Training.

I truly, truly hate drunk drivers. I have been forced to change my running routes because of them. I worry about Hubby on his daily commute, since he drives a tiny little Mini Cooper (73 vintage). I see these people on the telly, in court pleading not guilty, and I wonder about their choices. I know that your ability to make decisions when you're drunk is compromised. So, how about this-if you will need to drive home, DON'T DRINK! Just don't have that first glass of wine or beer or whatever.

I truly enjoy drinking wine, and occasionally beer. Hubby doesn't drink at all, so I have a built in designated driver. If I'm out with the girls, without the Hubster, I just don't drink alcohol, not even one little glass of wine.

Just be really careful out there, faithful readers. Stay safe.

4 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Amen again sista! So sad about that runner's tragic and senseless death.

Nice 3 miler. But 94 bpm? Holy low HR Batman! Maybe you need to up the pace a bit to get that HR going.

robison52 said...

Las Vegas frequently has deaths of cyclists, runners, and pedestrians due to drunk drivers...not surprising as Vegas is a 24/7 drinking town, bars never close, Liquor Stores are always open and no open container law (you can drink liquour on the sidewalk). Next spring I hope to run back and forth to work (8.5 miles one way) and will traverse a safer, but longer side route for safety sake.

What is your maximum heart rate anyway as 94 bpm seems very low. Your aerobic zone is 60-75% of your MHR.

Sherri said...

oh man, that sucks and is so sad!! a tradegy indeed.

Lily on the Road said...

What a sensless tragedy, sensless...

How sad for her family, friends and team mates...I'm so sorry to hear this.