Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Mileage-it's just a number

My rhr has been up several days in a row, and my legs felt pretty dead after yesterday's 6 miler. I'm not sure what's up with that. I've decided to take an extra rest day this week, so no run for today. I really want my mileage back up to 30 mpw, but if it takes an extra week to get there, so what? Will the big picture change if I don't run today? 10 years from now, when I'm still running, will I look back at this week and say, "Gee, I wish I had done that run on that one day"? I think not. So I'm giving myself permission to take an extra day off this week. I'll do some core stuff instead and work on a couple of projects I have in mind around the house. with 2 days off in a row, it will be interesting to see how my planned 10 miler for Friday goes.

I'm currently re-reading a favorite book, a translation of Beowulf by Seamus Heanley. There are passages that still ring true today; it just proves what I have always thought-that human nature has not changed throughout the ages-as an example:

Beow's name was known through the north,
And a young prince must be prudent like that,
giving freely while his father lives
so that afterwards in age when fighting starts
steadfast companions will stand by him
and hold the line. Bahaviour that's admired
is the path to power among people everywhere.

This, faithful readers, from an epic poem written around the 10th century.

6 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Great post. I admire and agree with your balanced and long-term perspective on running. And on top of all that you threw in a glorious quote to make my day. Well done.

WendyBird said...

Great blog! I'm excited about joining this new world, LOL. Love you cars too, all this time on the running forum and I never knew you were into cars! Very smart taking the day off. Your body is a dear old friend, it tells you the TRUTH instead of just what you WANT to hear.

WendyBird said...

Oops, I meant LIKE a dear old friend, LOL

Allen said...

As Dr. Mirkin says, push yourself and then take as many days off as you need until you feel fine. Set your goals but don't put a time-limit on them, since you don't know in advance how much rest you'll need throughout the year.

robison52 said...

Smart to listen to your body and taking an extra rest day...yup, reading Beowulf would also help me recover as well as the book had put me to sleep in High School! Maybe that I'm older and wiser I'd appreciate Beowulf more?

Sherri said...

never read that. hmm. good for you on taking a day off. You are wise