Thursday, September 25, 2008

Working with bimbos

Today's run was excellent. I just did 3 miles but at a very steady fast pace. After the running gods made me suffer throught a torturous 6 miler on Tuesday, they decided to throw me a bone and give me a good run.

I just discovered a new sign that you are truly a runner-if you dream about your long run, then yeah, you're addicted. I did the whole run last night in my sleep. I'm wondering if this means I can skip the run Friday?

Let's switch gears, faithful readers, from the depressing and perhaps boring posts of late regarding America's financial woes. Perhaps it's time to clear the palate; allow me to return to my usual lighthearted and upbeat posts of yore. My experience in business office employment taught me that every office has a bimbo. I'm wondering if it's some sort of California legislation that requires every office to hire one. If that's true and knowing how things work in California they probably require that offices have a bimbo to cubicle ratio.

The last bimbo I worked with would win a gold medal for stupidity. Some time in May one year she came in the business office with a check in her hand, and a puzzled look replaced her normally cheerful expression. "I got this check in the mail. I don't know what it's for. Should I send it back, or just cash it?" I looked at the check. "This is your tax refund. It's your money. Keep it". I replied. I always tried to keep my words under 3 syllables when I talked to this young lady.

Now she seemed really confused. "That can't be right, she said. My dad does my taxes, why would he send in too much money?" I sighed deeply and thought carefully about my answer. I didn't want to contribute to her confusion. How do I explain this to her in 2 syllable words?
"Your dad didn't send in money. You had too much money taken out of your paycheck to pay your taxes. When that happens they send the money back."

Her normally worry free and thus wrinkle free brow furrowed a bit. "They take money out of my check?" Oh, dear lord, this was much worse than I thought. I responded carefully. "Ok, you know how when you get your paycheck there's that other piece of paper attached to it? The one with all the numbers and initials on it? Like OASDI and SDI and 401K? That's money the company takes out of your paycheck to pay your taxes and social security and disability insurance."

Her response? "How long has this been going on?"

I swear this is a true story. It's yet another reason for why I retired early.

7 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

Ho*LE*y snaps...you gotta love that, please don't tell me she was blonde!!

BeachRunner said...

ROFL. Your blog has taken a decidedly ranty turn, and I love it. Great run by the way.

Tanya said...

lily-yup, she sports one of the lovlier shades Clairol has to offer.

DuckvilleRunner said...

That story is priceless, that would make me hit my head against the wall and I'm blond. It really makes you wonder some times.

WendyBird said...

LOL, to quote my 17 year old, "That takes a special kind of special."

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness...I laughed so hard! That is funny...and kinda sad. Thanks for the laugh. :)

The Running Bob said...

Great story, especially on a slow, Friday afternoon at work. Got any Himbo stories? (male bimbo)