Friday, December 26, 2008

Running hiatus is over!

My running vacation is over. I ran 4 miles today on the treadmill and I can't believe I'm saying this, but it felt really good-a run on the deadmill? Good?? Go figure!

I wanted to run outdoors today, but I stuck my nose out the door, felt the cold in the air, saw the frost on the lawn, and decided that an indoor run was in order. It was 43 degrees at 8:30 this morning! That's horribly, awfully, nastily freezing cold!

Now that all my faithful readers from the east coast and Canada have finished laughing their butts off, remember-this is California, and not even northern California where I believe the white stuff actually falls occasionally. You have to make an adjustment to calculate cold weather here-I call it the California chill factor. After living here for 45 years, I have come up with a highly technical mathematical calculation that clearly shows that in California, if the thermometer says 50 degrees, for a person who has lived here more than 10 years that actually feels like 25 degrees. So making adjustments for the fact that I have lived here so long, and the temperature was 43 degrees, the California chill factor was 19 degrees.

Now, those of you who live in colder climes would certainly not run in 19 degree weather, would you? I thought not. So stop laughing!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I would love 43 degrees. :) I love your reasoning...too funny!

greentigress said...

I felt very much like i had to test my tenacity against yours just then... lol ... but the reasoning makes perfect sense... i think i have been out in 4C but not 0C yet...

robison52 said...

I'm not laughing! Las Vegas is FREEZING now at 38 degrees!!

The dreadmill is sometimes better than the alternative road running in poor weather...but I can appreciate your surprise in feeling good on the mill.

SuperDave said...

*giggle*