Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

Today is a rest day; tommorrow, after a very short run, Hubby and I will travel a short distance north to Templeton to take in the local parade. It's everything a parade should be-lots of Boy Scout troops riding on flatbed trucks; teenaged girls on horseback, and church groups with homemade floats.

In honor of the occasion, today's post is about one of my favorite founding fathers-John Adams. I've read several biographies about him, and if I could spend a day with any historical figure, he's the one I would choose. I very much admire his integrity and his moral compass. He had lots of self doubts as we all do; he was vain and temperamental. He took on court cases that were extremely unpopular because it was the right thing to do. He had a deep abiding love for his wife, Abigail, and he valued her opinion very much regarding the politics of the time.

I wish we had someone like him running as a candidate in our current Presidential race.

No comments: