Thursday, June 19, 2008

Brutal run

If you read my last post, I wrote about how nice the mornings were here for running-cool and foggy; and I wondered if it would last. It didn't. Today was supposed to be a 12 miler. I knew it would be hot, so I started at 5:30 am. It still wasn't early enough-I was shocked when I stepped out the door and realized it was already pretty warm. I toughed it out for 11 miles with several water breaks throughout and some walking; by the end of the run it was just too stinkin hot to run any more and I knew only a fool would continue the run. It is now 9:30 and 93 degrees outside. I'm dissappointed in the run, but I figure one mile short on a long run isn't going to affect my half mary by much.

I would just like to say, to all of you runners who regularly run in hot weather, my hat is off to you (I'm thinking of Bruce and Bob here). Honestly, I don't know how you do it and I realize I am really spoiled, weather wise.

I checked the 10 day weather report and this hot spell should break by Sunday. I have a run for Saturday, but it's a short one, so I should be ok. I just hope the half is on a cool day. Hubby asked me if I would scratch the race if it's hot; of course I'm not going to scratch. If it's hot I will run as much as I can; I will walk if I have to; I will crawl if that's what it takes to cross the finish line.

1 comment:

robison52 said...

Graat job toughing it out in the hot weather!!! I don't even attempt to run outside when it's over 90 degrees, I'll be running on the trusty dreadmill until September.